The Book Club: Three at once

DSCF5184
The holidays have arrived and I am reading more than ever despite the pile of homework sitting in the corner of my room. I have done some I promise, and two of these books are college related.

The Little Coffee Shop of Kabul (Deborah Rodriguez) and The Kite Runner (Khaled Hosseini) are both books that I read in order to write my Extended essay, and I was pleasantly surprised when both of them lived up to what I previously thought were hyped up reviews. Both books are very different sides of the same coin. Telling tales of the hardships and wonders of Kabul and it's people during political and religious turmoil. I personally loved all the characters, and couldn't pick a favourite out for you.

The Great Gatsby (F.Scott Fitzgerald)
This entangling and almost dream like scene played out in New York during the nineteen twenties, captures your heart and your mind as you enter the dizzying heights of Mr.Gatsby's parties narrated by Nick. The whole story gave me a different idea of life post WW1, I always thought it was a rather dark time now I have other ideas.
Now this is a reread for me, and once again I was enchanted by Daisy and was mystified by Gatsby the only character that made sense to me was Mr. Caraway or Nick. If you have seen the film I suggest you read this it has a very different feel to it.

All of the above books, made me laugh, cry and feel genuine happiness for the characters. I think what surprised me most is that you feel like you know all of the characters as well as you would your mother or best friend.

xoxo Miriam

Next up is: The Apartment by Greg Baxter

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment