The Book Club| The Maze Runner Series


The Maze Runner Trilogy by James Dashner 4.5/5

Before I entered into reading this trilogy I had heard and still do hear very mixed reviews about both The Scorch Trials and The Death Cure. But being the person that I was I decided I wanted to read them anyway. I personally loved the whole series and I read it within 3 days, the writing style was engaging and allowed the reader into the protagonist's, Thomas', thoughts while still letting the narrator play no part or have no opinion of the actions taken by the characters. Now this might be controversial but I prefer this series to the Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins mainly because the ending wasn't so 'wishy-washy' it was open. You could take the ending at face value or think about what could happen for hours it just depends how invested in the characters the reader it, to me it makes for very clever writing.

I had very few problems with the books, except I was left wanting a little more information about what Thomas did before the timeline within the books. I have now discovered that there is a prequel book that I might just pick up soon. The concept of the flare was incredibly clever, as it combined both human and natural disasters to create the perfect backdrop to the world in which Thomas and the others try to survive in. This also allowed Dashner to comment on class and how only the rich could prevent the flare from taking over too quickly. The creation of WICKED also allowed him to comment on the use of government resources and money, which I thought was incredibly clever and could possibly be undermining the use of the UN etc. as ways of deciding how money should be used by government.

“Such a display of death - how could it be considered a victory?”

Overall I absolutely loved the series, the use of mystery and fast paced action was always a winner for me even before you add relatable, well developed characters into the mix. I mean naturally I had characters that I despised and ones I loved, and because it is a novel the ones I liked the most died before or went through far more than those I had issues with. Book Logic... I can definitely see me re-reading these at some point in the future.

XO, Miriam


Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment