The Book Club| Silas Marner


Silas Marner by George Eliot - 4/5

When I started reading this book for class I was lacking motivation, and began reading it in small chunks, and as a result put it down. But with my exam drawing ever closer I decided to read it in one long readathon, and it turns out his book is actually pretty darn good. Given it was written in the 19th century I was impressed with the range of themes and character depth that I am yet to find with other books written within the realist era. The book tells the story of Silas Marner a man who is removed from his previous society and without a faith who begins a new life in the country village of Raveloe where he struggles with material obsession and becoming part of the community.

From the description it doesn't sound that interesting but why there is not a huge amount of action a lot happens, and I began to see the way George Eliot saw Victorian society, with its class divide, the industrialisation of country towns and the importance of religion or lack there of. I have to admit the only character I was invested in was Silas, but that was mainly due to the other characters acting upon him, which meant I was focused on his reactions as I read. I think that Silas was one of the few genuine characters amongst the community despite that fact he did not become apart of the community until 15 years after he moved there.

Overall I really like the depiction of the changes in Victorian society and the suggestion that you can be spiritual without having a faith. As I personally relate to that as I would say I am a spiritual person rather than a religious one, despite being brought up as a Christian. Not only that the book demonstrated that the community is central to life in the 19th century, as without one Silas draws his only comfort from material gain that when remove leaves him stranded once more in an unknown place. I may have had to read this for my class but I think I might just pick up George Eliot's more well known novel MiddleMarch later this year. 

XO, Miriam

Related Articles

4 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to hunt down some more reads, so I'll definitely have to try this out x

    www.sheintheknow.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awh thank you! Tell me what you think if you read it!
      XO, Miriam

      Delete
  2. Miriam!! This is such an amazing review! I looved this when I read it for literature class last year. It's seriously amazing and I got an A star in literature so yay hahaha

    Anyways, this book really touched me in so many ways and it actually is somehow mirroring George Eliot's life as she has lost faith after being extremely religious. The plot twists with Eppie and everything else, this is one of my favorite classics! and it's nice to see people talk about it and pick it up :)

    - Jumana @ http://booksbyj.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jayy! I know it is so interesting how George Eliot lost her faith throughout her life given how she was brought up within society. Eppie is definitely one of the most important characters within the novel, she represents so much as well as the change she brings about in Marner.

      XO, Miriam

      Delete