The Book Club| InkHeart


Inkheart by Cornelia Funke - 2.5/5

I feels like I spent forever reading this book but the reality is that life got in the way with exams to revise for, Hay Festival to attend and packing to leave university halls I took me a while to get into this book. Well that and it didn't get good until the end. My sister who has read the series already has told me that the second and third books in the trilogy are far better than Inkheart. So I will carry on to the next books in the hope that they improve.

"Books have to be heavy because the whole world's inside them"

I think my main problem with the book is the way the action in someways repeats itself, there was no real need for some things to happen, this mostly includes Basta's constant commentary and Dustfinger's complaining. Having said this the character development was exceptional, I feel like I know Elinor and Meggie, that I understand why they act the way they do, and that while the book is narrated in the third person I feel like I know what most of the characters are thinking at any given moment within the book. To me it is a shame that the action and the rather neat ending of the book doesn't reflect the characters, I really hope the subsequent books change my opinion of Cornelia Funke, as currently I am not a huge fan... Having said this I loved the use of quotes from other books at the beginning of each chapter, as someone who had knowledge of most of the quoted novels they really enhanced the characters and the subsequent action.

Overall I am going to test out the rest of the trilogy but there are no guarantees on whether I will finish the series. I would recommend this book to people who love books, as they are discussed a lot, and when I say a lot I mean it.

"Books are like flypaper, memories cling to the printed pages better than anything else"

XO, Miriam


Related Articles

2 comments:

  1. I think I had a copy of this as a kid but never finished it. I really struggle when reading fantasy novels and I get easily confused.
    Love Hayley,
    Water Painted Dreams

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha fair enough, I love fantasy but I can't read two books from that genre after one another, or I will get confused!
      XO, Miriam

      Delete