The Book Club| More Than This


More Than This by Patrick Ness - 4/5

"Know yourself and go in swinging."
I have heard plenty of people within the book blogging and the booktube communities rave about Patrick Ness, so when I saw this book in the Oxfam tent at Hay Festival for only £2 I had to pick it up. I don't want to give too much away with this review, but the basic premise is a boy dies but then he wakes up, is it the afterlife or another life. This is one of the best YA novels I have read all year, not that I have read very many... The concept of the book is near-perfect with a concept that makes you think about the possibilities that our future holds, with our ever changing and more extreme climates, along with more extreme wars, and whatever else the future holds on this planet.

"A book... it's a world all on its own too. A world made of words, where you live for a while."

This is by far one of the most thought provoking books I have read in terms of thinking about the possibilities that are held by the future, and how we can affect those outcomes. I wish I could say more about how much I loved this book and some of its flaws but I really think this is one of those books that has to be read without knowing too much about what happens. However while I cannot reveal what happens I can say that I have a love-hate relationship with narrative style/the main character the lines a blurred as the narration focuses on his life and experiences most of all. To begin with I enjoyed the almost two part narration between what is happening in the 'present' and his 'memories' it began to frustrate me as while I knew more than the characters he interacted with I was still left waiting to figure out why they are where they are. This is both really cleverly written in that you can't put the book down, but also annoying in that you can't put the book down to reflect until you have finished it. I read this book in 3 sittings...


"You said we all wanted there to be more than this! Well, there is always something more than this. There's always something you don't know."

As John Green says on the cover "Just Read It"

XO, Miriam

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment