Chocolate and Vanilla Cake.


Besides reading a lot of books that will be shortly reviewed on this little space on the internet I have begun to bake again. Instead of trying something new I went back to a recipe book I was given as a child by my Aunt who just so happens to live in New Zealand (yes I want to go back to NZ), so most of the measurements are in cups. I am yet to find a recipe in this rather small book that doesn't either taste amazing or look amazing. This particular one has been used countless times for Birthday cakes as well as random baking days over the years and will continue to be used.


For the cake you will need:
- 125g of butter
- 2 cups of flour
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 1/4 cup of cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2tsp baking powder
- 2tsp vanilla essence

1. Preheat the oven to 180°C and line and grease a 20cm cake tin. 
2. Melt the butter and milk together in a pan, then leave to cool for 10 minutes.
3. Sift the flour, cocoa powder and baking powder into a bowl. Stir in sugar.
4. Whisk essence and eggs into cooled butter mixture, and pout the mixture over the flour mix.

5. Mix the ingredients lightly until well combined and lump free.
6. Transfer the mixture to the tin. Bake for 45 minutes and leave to cool.

I then made some basic chocolate butter icing with butter, icing sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla essence, and a little bit of milk. I don't know exact measurements.

XO, Miriam

Related Articles

2 comments: