The Book Club| All The Light We Cannot See


All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr - 4.5/5

I didn't intend or reading this book so soon, I wanted get some of the books from my reading list for next semester read and partially annotated first but alas we are here. I picked up this book due to having almost 10 Euros in change at Amsterdam airport and nothing to read on the flight home so I entered the nearest shop selling books in English and I walked out with this lovely paperback edition. When I hear lots of people loving a book especially within the booktube and book blogger communities I am generally skeptical of whether the book is actually worth my time. With this novel I had no need to be, there is a reason this book is being hyped everywhere you look because it is incredible.

The novel tells the story of a Marie-Laure young blind girl in France and Werner a young German boy at the start of the war and the end. As the stories slowly catch up with each other their live while completely seperate have been connected for longer than expected and I certainly did not see it coming. The way Doerr writes is absolutely beautiful, there is not a paragraph that goes without a meaningful sentence that contains more meaning that some 500page books I have read. The way he narrates the action using different characters, timelines and insight into characters thoughts is poetic and weaves the story together in a way I have never seen. I before this the only novel I have read about WWII is The Book Thief by Marcus Zuzac (I reviewed it here), the only difference being this book has inspired my to read more books about this era along with any other historical fiction I find while browsing my TBR and the library this summer. 

I personally preferred Werner's side of the story as having been brought up in the UK there are very few occasions where you get to hear about a Germans side to the story. While this book is fictional, I felt as though if gave as much insight as possible as to what it was like to be a young man or woman in the war. As a character I empathised with Werner far more than Marie-Laure, probably because Werner was the underdog, having had a less privileged back ground than Marie-Laure. Having said that I found the way Marie-Laure and her father coped with her blindness and how she and those she lived with coped with his capture. All of this narrated perfectly as you experience the world of war without eyes, from the expense of brail books that she reads over and over to everything being discovered by her hands or other senses. Doerr's knowledge of how a blind young girl would act or react under these circumstances is incredible and I think I may re-read this book again and again!

I really hope you get a chance to read this book as it is definitely worth your while!

XO, Miriam

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment